Goats are herbivores and the lovable animal, so we need to be very particular about what they eat or what they like. As they do not know, what is good or bad for them, we are the health guards for them. So let’s have a look at the food items, which are healthy for your goats
1.Pasture & Hay
Pasture and hay are the most common and favorite feed of goats. They provide the all-essential nutrition to goats. They keep the digestive system running smoothly and goats like them very much. Among all the varieties of pasture Sudan grass, Bahia grass, Sorghum, Millet, the combination of grain grass and clover are known as the best source of nourishment. While feeding hay you should be careful that it doesn’t contain mold. Moreover, if pasture system is rightly available then the need of feeding hay occurs only when grazing is not possible such as in cold and rainy seasons. To fulfill the nutritional demands of goats weedy and grass hay are the best. Other options in hay are clover, alfalfa, soybean, & vetch.
It is nothing but the grass cut early into smaller portion and spread with molasses and dried inside large bags. This process combines the useful bacteria to the grass.
3.Vitamins and Minerals
- Black oil sunflower seeds are a rich source of vitamin E which develops its reproductive system and muscles. Also enriches its milk.
- Probios helps in the smooth functioning of the rumen.
- Kelp Meal contains iodine which boosts the production of milk for goats.
- Apple Cider Vinegar consists of good enzymes and minerals which increases their immunity.
- Calcium, Phosphorus, and salt consist of essential minerals.
4.Garden and kitchen Scrap
Scraps have a great nutritious value for goats. Scraps like tomato end, banana peels, garlic skins, and orange peels make great food for them. Also, veggies, fruits, and dried fruits can be used for feed. Sweet feed should be avoided because it can make the goats lazy and dependable on junk food.
Grain is an essential item in goat feeding. It should be approx 10% of the daily feed for babies and nearly 30-40% in the case of mature ones. It consists of protein and carbon. They are available in different types like rolled, texturized, whole and pelleted.
What to feed in winters:
In cold season they are dependent mostly on Hay so it is better to store the best quality hay in ample amount. Also, water should be of drinkable temperature.
Foods for a healthy goat
- Pasture (50% of daily diet),
- Hay (25% of daily diet)
- Grain(20% of daily diet),
- Minerals (1-2% of diet),
- Goat treats (occasionally)
- The amount of green feed, water, vitamins, and minerals has to be in sufficed because these are the primary requirements.
- Essential supplements should be given for the development of its milk, skin and better immunity.
- The feed should be always clean and protected by germs, bacteria, and parasites.
Items to avoid
- No dog or cat feeds
- Wild cherries
- Holly trees or bushes.
- Lilly of the valley.
- Rhubarb leaves.
- Any nightshade vegetable.
- Peach and palm leaves.